Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Authors Who Deserve More Attention

I'm going to be very up front about the fact that I struggled with this topic. I read a lot of popular literature, so it was hard for me to think of authors who I think need more attention or aren't well known. I could only come up with 7 for today, sorry guys!

1. Celia Rivenbark- This is a bit of a nod to my home state, North Carolina, of which Celia is a native. But, this Bond Girl would like her regardless. She writes about living in the South, and about being Southern, so if you're from the South, she's hilarious because you can relate to what she writes about, and if you're not from the South, then you'll laugh at what a bunch of "redneck hicks" we are. It's a win-win.

2. Ian Fleming- Ok, before you brush this off as Bond Girl promoting Bond, think about it. Have you ever actually read a Bond novel, or have you just watched the movies (which are awesome.) Fleming's works have created a film empire, and they're really really amazing, but I think that most people don't realize that the novels are based on books. Take if from a Bond Girl THEY ROCK!

3. Federico GarcĂ­a Lorca - He's super talented, but I don't think a lot of English speakers are into his poems. I'm a Spanish/Psych double major, so I've done a lot of reading in Spanish, and he's one of my favorite Spanish poets. He was also a playwright, and La casa de Bernarda Alba is amazing if you're into drama. I think English speakers stick to more mainstream Spanish poetry like Pablo Neruda (who is amazingly talented and awesome), and I feel like you guys are missing out!!

4.  Samuel Beckett- I feel like most of us have made it through "Waiting for Godot" at some point during our literary careers, but I think that's all most people read of Beckett. I just read "Krapp's Last Tape" in my Drama class, and it was one of the best plays It's a one act play so it's a quick read, but the things that Beckett accomplishes with only one character in one act are amazing. I wasn't a huge fan of "Waiting for Godot," so to read Beckett and enjoy it was a nice change.

5. Susan Cooper- The Dark is Rising sequence was a huge part of my childhood, and I feel like Cooper isn't mentioned along with the names of kid's literature greats. The books are wicked interesting and captivating, even now as an almost adult.

6. Mark Mills- I don't know if he's a bigger deal in the UK, but I'm surprised Mills isn't hugely popular in the US. I've only read "The Savage Garden," but I loved it, and I want to read "Amagansett" when I have a chance.

7.  Mal Peet- I've only read "Keeper" and "Tamar" of his works, but I've read them multiple times, and they are just as captivating each time. He's so talented, and his books are really fascinating. "Keeper" has a football (and by football I mean soccer) theme, and "Tamar" focuses on World War II Holland.

Next week I'll hopefully make it back up to the full 10.

Until then,

xoxo
Vesper

3 comments:

  1. I'm completely with you on Fleming and I also had Susan Cooper on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few Bond books on my TBR, though I do like The Moneypenny Diaries which are told from Miss Moneypenny's viewpoints and fit in really well with the original books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Falaise- The Dark is Rising was kind of the original Harry Potter. I'm surprised it isn't more popular. And Fleming just gets shafted, I feel like he doesn't get any of the credit he deserves.

    @pwb- You should definitely give the Bond books a read. I've never read any of The Moneypenny Diaries, but I'll check them out for sure.

    ReplyDelete