Monday, March 28, 2011

Bond Girl Gets Ambitious

Bond Girl gets ambitious, as I go for my second post in 10 minutes. I'm going to do a bit of reviewing of the things I've been reading lately. It's been mostly for class, so don't get too excited, it's not going to be super fun.

La casa de Bernarda Alba- I read this in my Spanish literature class, in the original Spanish version, but I'm sure it's available in English. It was a good read, a bit suspenseful, and ultimately very sad. It takes an intimate look at one dysfunctional family, and how fear of public opinion tears them apart. Lorca was a talented writer, and Bernarda Alba is one of the stars in his crown.

Bergdorf Blondes- This was a quick, light read. And, although, there were points during the plot when the narrator was so self absorbed and oblivious that I could literally feel my IQ dropping, it was a good Spring Break book to read while I was more or less tipsy.

Krapp's Last Tape- This was brilliant. I read it for my Drama class, and was seriously impressed by Beckett's skill. From my Goodreads review, This play focuses on an old man, who on his birthday listens to a tape he had made on a previous birthday, in this case his 39th birthday. I've read a lot of drama this semester for different classes, but this is one of the best plays I've ever read. It's fascinating to read the scene, with only one character present, and Beckett's talent really shines through. If you're not a fan of Beckett or of drama in general, I can understand that this might seem confusing, or you may not like it, but if you've read a lot of drama, you should definitely pick this up. It's a one act play, but Beckett manages to completely captivate and amaze you in that short time. It's truly a masterpiece.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone- I had to reward myself for all of the reading I've been doing in class. So, I decided to go with the standby classic, Harry Potter. I love Harry Potter, no matter how often I read these stories. They're just as "magical" every time (Bond Girl makes band pun.) But, in reality, I'll never grow tired of these books, and they will always be just as captivating as they were when I read them for the first time as a child. As a college student, these books make me remember the childlike fear I had for Harry, and also the faith that if anyone could fix the problems of the world it would be Harry. I find myself feeling sentimental as the last movie is set for release, because I feel a bit like I'm finally letting go of my childhood.  I was 6 when the first book was released in 1997, and I can still remember my Mom reading it to me before bedtime. It was the beginning of a beautiful friendship. I grew up with Harry, and fought my own, (more trivial) battles alongside his fight to defeat Voldemort (and as a Bond Girl, you know I'm all about defeating evil!) If you haven't read Harry Potter, you haven't lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment